Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mookey Likes to Be Fancy!

So, I was Goodwill the other day.  Remember when I bought all that fabric?  Yes, that day.  I also found some plates that I just loved.  The colors were so pretty.   They were in great condition.  I bought 6 dinner plates and 6 salad plates. 
When I got home I looked them up on line and found out that they are vintage 50’s plates and are worth quite a bit.  SCORE!!!   Hubby is happy because he assumes that I’m going to sell them on Etsy, but I’m not.  Shhh.. I’m keeping them.  But that is not what this post is about.
Here's what this post is about.

After I put the plates in my cart I walked past this thing that grabbed my attention.  I couldn’t stop staring at it.  I was thinking,Who in their right mind buys something like that?  What is wrong with people? “.


I started to walk away but those plastic beady eyes seemed to be following me. I went back to look at it again. One of the eyes was halfway out. It was filthy. Yet…..


I put it in my cart and grabbed a towel to cover it up. I didn’t want anyone to see what I have just placed in there. I went to the checkout and put the thing on the counter. The cashier looked at it and said, “Holy Cr*p!” I hung my head, and whispered, “I know.”

When I got home I took it out of the bag and put it on the kitchen counter. I kept walking past it all day. I finally picked her up (see, now “it’s” become a “she”) and scrubbed her in the kitchen sink. Then I pulled her eyes out.

My husband came home about this time and said, “Holly, what is that?”


I said, “I bought her at Goodwill. I will name her Mookey, and she will be my Mookey.” He just kinda stared at me. I guess he was never much of a Nemo fan.


After her bath, the makeover began. I stuck different things from around the house in her eye sockets; buttons, beads, what have you. I liked the look of these glittered brads the best and so did she. She wanted to be festive and enjoys the holidays so she got a Christmas ribbon around her neck with a bulb on it and a red nose.

She's happy for now but is looking forward to dressing up for New Years Eve!
Holly
xxx-ooo



8 comments:

Pure Ella said...

Love your Mookey.
It's so good he's loved again and he looks really happy in the festive spirit ;)
xoxo
PS. Beautiful Plates!

Tammy said...

I LOVE those plates!! So pretty! Mookey is adorable! I would have looked at her, made a face and walked away. LoL Love your creativity!

marion said...

kevin thinks i'm gonna sell the antique highchair i got at an auction. hehe. did you know that mookey is a towel holder. you drape the towel over her.
love you

Unknown said...

Love love love those plates. Jackpot :)

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love stories like this, makes me feel so much better about myself :)! And I love Mookey's new make up, just right for the holidays.

Kris said...

I am a dish freak! LOVE those! And Mookey is adorable!!

Jen (emsun.org) said...

Oh my gosh, she's just stinkin' beautiful! I do that sort of thing, too, and it it always bewilders my husband. :)

Val said...

Beautiful plates! I'm always soooo tempted when I find lovely dishes while thrifting....