Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dollar Store Debacle

My husband is seriously addicted to this:
The problem is; they don’t sell the bottles in the grocery stores by the case. I’ve tried all of them including Wal-Mart, Costco, and Sam’s club. They only sell the cans and he won’t drink out of a can. He goes to the convenient store and buys four of these every day for $1.79 each every day. I was in the dollar store the other day and they had a bunch of these. I grabbed 2 flats of them. There are 24 to each flat so I had 48 bottles. Remember that, it’s important….48 bottles.

I brought them to the check out and here's what transpired:

I put one bottle on the conveyor belt and told her that I had 2 cases. She scanned the bottle 24 times. (No, she didn’t hit the x24 button, she scanned it 24 times.) I said nothing and smiled sweetly even though I was in a hurry because I had to pee.

Clerk: That will be $25.68.

Me: I have two cases.

Clerk: yes

Me: There are 24 in each case.

Clerk: Ok, that’s $25.68.

Me: No, there are 48 bottles at $1.00 each.

Clerk: But there’s tax on it so it comes to $25.68

Me: (I kept looking at her expression thinking, wait for it….wait for it…..then ….nothing.) Um, I owe you more than that.

Clerk: I don’t think so; the register automatically figures the tax.

Line behind me is backing up down the aisle. I look around for a manager, can’t see anyone.

Me: I’m sorry, but I think I’ll just take one case.

Clerk: (huffing and puffing she clears the register and then runs the same bottle over the scanner 24 times.) That will be $25.68.

Me: Really, huh?



I’ve got to go back tomorrow to pick up that other case.

5 comments:

larainydays said...

Hmmmm, apparently she dropped out of Dollar High School. I applaud you for your honest patient nature.

Beth said...

Good for you for being honest :). She obviously is used to people getting upset over tax. And the fact that someone would actually be arguing to pay MORE is incomprehensible to her :). When you go to pick up the other case, pray she's not at the register!

Anonymous said...

this made me laugh. I even read it to my husband.

Anonymous said...

My husband is a Diet Mountain Dewaholic out of the bottles too. But, since we are so cheap we buy the 2 liters and refill the smaller bottles. We get real excited when the 2 liters are on sale 10 for $10!!

dtbrents said...

That's why I hate to shop. Things like this happens to me a lot. I know this is not as bad as your story but last night I ran to the store for a few things. I was moved three times to different checkout. The young woman who checked me out sucked on a blow pop the whole time she was checking me out. Pulling it in and out of her mouth. I was really ticked off. Doylene