Saturday, October 23, 2010

Cream-Filled Cupcakes and Halloween Candles


I made these yummy cupcakes for my girlfriend’s wedding and they were very good and not too difficult. I found the recipe here and tweaked it a little. They taste just like Hostess Ding Dongs.

Ingredients

• 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) devil's food cake mix

• Ingredients on the box (i.e. oil, water, eggs)

Filling

• 2 teaspoons hot water

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1 jar (7 ounce) marshmallow crème

• 1/2 cup shortening

• 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Ganache Frosting:

• 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

• 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

• Prepare and bake cupcakes according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

• For filling, in a small bowl, combine water and salt until salt is dissolved. Cool. In a small bowl, beat the marshmallow crème, shortening, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; add the salt mixture, and mix in.

• Cut a small hole in the corner of pastry or plastic bag; insert round pastry tip. Fill the bag with cream filling. I use a gallon size Ziplock freezer bag because I hate cleaning my pastry bag. I use a Wilton #12 tip for this. If you use a smaller tip, the cream is too thick and the bag will break. Push the tip into the top about halfway into the cupcake and squeeze the bag. If you watch the cupcake closely when you do this you will see it begin to expand. Stop filling just before the top of the cupcake breaks open.

• In a heavy saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with cream; stir until smooth. Cool for about 15 minutes. Dip cupcake tops into frosting; chill for 20 minutes or until set. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.

• Note: I can usually only make about 19 or 20 of these with this recipe because I fill the liners a little more full than recommended, about ¾; I like to have my cupcakes “pop up” a little more so it’s easier to dip them in the ganache.

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

Part Two:  Halloween Candles
I love the smell of the Glade candles. My new favorite is the Baked Pear & Cinnamon Treat. The color is also good for this time of year.


I found some vintage halloween postcard images on Google images, resized them and printed them out.  I took the label off the candle and mod podged the images to the candle.  Cute huh?





Holly
xxx-ooo

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm going to make those cupcakes when I get home. Madi loves chocolate, and keeps telling me she wants a sleepover when we get home. This will keep us busy. The candle idea is great. Would be cute to do for Christmas gift ideas as well. How about some homemade Christmas gift ideas? You are the one who got the creative gene you know.

corners of my life said...

It is always a challenge to find candles that have a scent that lasts. I look forward to trying you decorated Glade candle idea. So charming.

corners of my life said...

Your cupcakes remind me of elementary school field trips. That was the only time I was allowed to bring a lunch from home and it always included a Hostess Cupcake.

larainydays said...

You Holly, are a smarty pants. Great ideas.

Mindy said...

your cupcakes look delish! So tricky! :)