Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Can We Talk Crotches?

I meant to say Couches.

But that wouldn't have been nearly as interesting.

My dilemma:

Our couch and love seat have seen better days.  They are worn, and dirty, and ugly.  It's time for a replacement.  My husband wants something comfortable and reclining.  I want traditional and pretty.  I'm trying to find something we both like at a price that won't kill us.

The reason they are so dirty?  Well, I'm sure I have no idea:















My husband wants one of these:
















I don't.  I'm not into the over-stuffed puffy arm thing.  I do, however, love to sit on these when I go to other peoples homes because they are super comfy. 

I like this reclining couch:



















It's much more traditional but my husband doesn't like the small arms.  (I have no idea when he decided he was allowed a say in the purchase of home decor and furnishings but in the case of the couch, he is undeterred by my pouting).  I'm having a problem with the $1600 price tag for this one. 

I could use some advice about fabric also.  We have a big naughty, dirty dog that will never learn to stay off the couch so don't even suggest it.  We have two cats.  (We actually have three but two sounds so much less crazy cat lady-ish).  Tell me about pet hair.  Tell me about what you use to remove it.  Tell me about the best fabric choices.  Tell me you're going to buy me a couch.   Tell me I'm beautiful and skinny.

Love Ya'll
Holly
xxx-ooo

17 comments:

pam said...

What about a slip covered sofa? We went Ikea because we're cheap, but there are some really nice ones out there.

Holly said...

I love the look and flexibility of the slipcovers but I need a reclining couch.

klutzymama said...

I love the couch that you have picked out! I would love to have something like that. The couch we have is about 9 years old. It has that microfiber fabric and that stuff is super easy to clean. Just a wet cloth will usually do the trick. As for pet hair, I just use the old lint roller method. :)

Val said...

You're beautiful, skinny, and not a crazy cat lady. That would be my co-worker, who happens to have six! :)

just call me jo said...

We got leather thinking the dog couldn't damage that. Wrong! I think there are kinds of leather that don't show stains and scratches. Alas, ours isn't one. I like your choice better than his (duh!). And yes you are beautiful and skinny.

Unknown said...

Leather is not a good idea.. I have 4 cats ( omg a crazy cat lady ) and 2 dogs.. Microfiber is the best for cleaning messes...also take a portable vac and vacuum all the hair off. lint roller takes to long. I love the style you picked..
Have fun hunting cause there is tons out there to choose from..
Hugs Birgit

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

You are beautiful and you are skinny.
And you are super awesome for the blog award over the weekend!
And I am terrible with couches. But I like the look of the one you picked out.

laraine@eddfam.com said...

I love the grey (?) couch. Give your husband a pillow if he complains about the arms. I hate pet hair, that's one of the many reasons why our dog lives outside.

Kris said...

You're beautiful and skinny, but I am not buying you a couch!! I will, however, suggest what we did. I have kids, grandkids, a dog, a cat, and we LIVE in our home. We wanted comfort, and durability. We wound up with a leather sofa. It reclines on both ends. Double wide recliner too, so it is really comfy. It also reclines all the way back to lie down. We also bought the matching double wide rocking leather chair and it too reclines. The spills wipe up...the animals don't dirty it. Easy peasy...and we love it. But they were not cheap either.

Cindy said...

Hey Girl. Remember when you said we are twins? It must be true. We are going through the exact same dilema at our our. We need new furniture. Same reasons, dirty, ripped and can't seem to get rid of the dog hair. And also, Tommy wants a recliner. Not sure where you will end up on your furniture journey but I think our solution is Tommy will get a reclining chair and I will pick out the sofa. Also, I heard that microfiber is the best when you have animals. And of course you are the prettiest and skinniest person I know!!! Love Ya!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

We just bought a new couch at Costco of all places. This is after much searching. You just never know where you will find the perfect match:)

Kris said...

Creation corner from my blog roll just posted a tute on those flowers u are making. Check it out.

ratieh said...

hi there! ^^

i like brownie couch, it's mooore comfortable. =D

if you don't mind, i wanna exchange link with you.

have a nice day!
hugs - ratieh

corners of my life said...

I say big arms just take up too much room. You choice is by far better. Sorry cowboy.

life in red shoes said...

Similar problem, we bought leather. I'll never go back!

Lauren said...

I like the couch you chose much better! Where is it from?

Anonymous said...

I love the couch you chose too. Where is it from? I keep looking for a recliner sofa that doesn't look like a recliner...