Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Slumgullion and Dinner Rolls

When my sister and I were little and Mom went out for a Girl’s Night, Dad was in charge. This was a much anticipated occasion. We knew two things were definitely going to happen.


1) My sister and I would play barber shop. Dad would want to take a nap on the floor in front of the tv but knew he had to know where we were at all times. His solution was to lie on the floor and allow us to cover his entire face in shaving cream and shave him with butter knives while he napped. Good times Dad!

2) We would be eating Slumgullion. This was Dad’s famous recipe. If you asked him what was in it, he would tell you that it was everything that was left in the fridge and thrown in one pot. I honestly thought that he made the name Slumgullion up, but I’ve found that he didn’t. You can actually find real recipes for it on sites like Cooks.com and Allrecipes.com. Who da thunk it?


I’ve come up with my own way of making this easy dinner. It also involves getting rid of most things in the fridge and freezer. I made it for my husband who is quite picky and he loved it. It’s a lot like goulash but I hide vegetables in it since my husband doesn’t eat “green stuff” and it’s a little more soupy than goulash. I think some people call it hamburger soup.


I use:


1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 can petite diced tomatos
1 can tomato sauce
1 ½ cans water or chicken or beef broth
1 large diced onion
2 cloves garlic
2 TBSP soy sauce (trust me)
Oregano, basil, pepper.


After browning the ground beef, put in the onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Throw all the rest of the stuff in and simmer for about 20 minutes. Then start cleaning out your fridge/freezer. Today I used 1 cup of frozen corn, 1 cup frozen green beans and some diced baby carrots. Simmer another 20 minutes until carrots are softened. You can throw just about anything else you have in there. Green peppers are really good in there too. Bring the mixture to an easy boil and then add about 1 cup of macaroni noodles and cook until they are done. That’s it! Super tasty. I serve mine with Rhodes frozen dinner rolls because I’m too lazy to make my own and these always come out so fluffy and pretty.


Thanks for checking in.  And that's all I have to say.
 
Holly
xxx-ooo

No comments: