Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Simple Honest Living


Anyone who uses social networks
such as Facebook, Blogs, or  Pinterest,
 can see there is a huge trend
 toward consumers making  more frugal choices.



Homemade laundry soap.
Refurbishing their old furniture instead of buying new.
Making simple home cooked meals instead of eating out.

Not too long ago,
It seemed that everyone was trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Buy Bigger!  Buy Better!

It was a cause for embarrassment to admit that you were
making frugal choices, budgeting, 
and looking for ways to cut back on spending.
It meant that you were not quite successful enough.

I think that this is the one good thing 
that has come out of this recession.
People are making better choices.
We are no longer afraid to admit that money is tight
And that we are doing the best we can to hold on to
Whatever it is we have.

We are reusing,
Reducing,
And trying to live more simply.

We’ve gone back to simple pleasures such as,
Hanging our laundry to dry in the sun,
Growing our own vegetables,
Creating beauty from things we already have.


Can you imagine dumpster diving or “shopping the curb”
Just ten short years ago?
If you did, you certainly didn’t tell anyone about it.

If you’re a Pinterest user like I am,
You probably have the same phobia that I do.
The fear of throwing something away that you could possibly reuse.

“Well, I guess I’ll just throw this empty tomato can away.”
But wait…..what if I just…..



“This old suitcase is about to fall apart, I should just toss it.”
But hold on a minute, maybe I could….


I enjoy learning new ways to
live more simply.
Ways to save money.
Paying down our debt.

I'm amazed at the number of women 
who have been willing to open up
on their blogs
and share their financial hardships
and their ideas for saving money.
And so thankful for that.


And it's a good thing.

xxx
Holly


18 comments:

Kris said...

What a refreshing post to read this morning Holly! I agree wholeheartedly, and am right there with the rest of the majority on this issue. But I find pleasure in it, and have always been a "dumpster diver" of sorts.
I miss you friend!!!
XO Kris

Sunny Simple Life said...

So true but sadly I think the new normal. Just don't see economy ever fully recovering. Our country has too much debt.

Anonymous said...

that is a good thing, we all need to be honest, I enjoyed this post Miss Holly,

Unknown said...

I agree and the bright light in all of this is that when I started living simpy because of financial reasons I found that it nourished a part of me that i didn't know existed. My kids say I have gone back in time and I have and I love it! Thanks for the post Holly!

TARYTERRE said...

It's a good thing, indeed.

Lynn said...

I've cut back with this new job. But I've always said one of the best ways to save money is to cook for yourself:@)

Robyn said...

Love this post Holly and as you know, right up my alley!.. Back in 2007 I was still "keeping up with the Jones's" on a fixed income mind you.. You want to talk about debt under my husbands name? Thats a whole other blog which I"ll get too soon enough if I can muster the courage to put it into writing without throwing up.

I had LOTS of "things" and TONS of "gold jewelry" some people collected handbags, dolls etc my thing was gold jewelry.. Then the recession hit, credit card available balances got slashed by half or more with no notice, one of my dogs came down with diabetes, (I have 2 of those now) my husband needed yet another surgery..in 2010 another of my dogs went into liver failure and died.. Big $$$$$ there..

All my gold jewelry? Gone.. And it made me realize whats important in this life and it isn't 'stuff' Im going or trying to go back to the way we lived as kids. If you didn't need it? Then you didn't need it..

Loved this post! :)
Robyn

life in red shoes said...

AMEN! we were all living a little to high on the hog, use it, abuse it, replace it....
As much as this recession hurt, and it did hurt! It has taught many of us to live simply, count our blessings instead of money, and to find joy in the little things.
Not a bad trade off :)

Maria S. said...

Hi Holly, I'm a new follower of your blog. Love it. My husband and I are moving from San Diego to AZ for lotsa reasons. We're moving (at least for now) to the Coolidge/Casa Grande area. Any advice, tips, thrift shop gold mines? Sorry to say I don't have a blog buttcha never know what the future will bring. Thank you for sharing your gift of writing. You probably get this a lot, but I feel as if I've known you for years just through your blog..
Pray that when we get there we can tolerate the heat--dry or otherwise!

Holly said...

Hi Maria! Thanks so much for the kind words! I wanted to write you back but you didn't include an email. If you get a chance, comment again and leave me an email address. I'd love to write and welcome you to the Valley! Thanks for following!

Anonymous said...

Re-purposing seems to make a loop every 20 yrs or thereabouts. When the economy is good it seems to be forgotten.
But, like you, it's good to downsize and learn to live a simpler life and to appreciate what is important in life. Maybe these 'loops' are gentle reminders.
Now, I'm going to take one of my old suitcases and make a dog bed out of it. Although, I don't seem to have a dog!!!
Hugs
Jan

Pat MacKenzie said...

It's amazing what we can live without when we once thought we had to have everything. I used to love hanging clothes out on the line, but it's hard to find a yard with a clothesline in it anymore. Pinterest will help me, I'm sure. I'm totally addicted.

Maria S. said...

Hi Holly, I'll leave my email address at the end of this message. I'm getting excited about the move but not about packing. Blecchhh.

deb said...

LOVE this post!!!! Im a dumpster diver from way back...one time hubby and I were driving and I spotted an old suitcase in someones trash....made hubby go back so I could save it...and as I was getting it he drove away making my stand there while rummaging thru someones trash!!!!!! said it was his revenge for making him haul an old ladder about 2 miles to ur house from a field because it wouldnt fit in my car and I had to have it LOLOL

Whosyergurl said...

Holly,

What a great post. I'm so glad that livin sustainability is now en vogue. (Once again.) I can remember how sustainable my Grandma was.

xo, Cheryl

Linda said...

Great post Holly! Don and I have lived frugally all our marriage...had to and now it seems we are quite fashionable! It makes me happy that people are returning to re-use and not wasting so much.

corners of my life said...

You should definitely do the old suitcase project ...

Genn said...

Hiya Aunty Hol!!!!!

Your garden is looking SO fantastic!!!

ANd I loved this post!
You are so right, why is it that a few years ago people would never admit to making their own this and that.
I think that now thanks to Pinterest we will all be living a bit thriftier! And greener! Feels so good doesn't it?
My cousins are all calling me a hippy now and I love it. ;)

PS- Thanks for your nice comment about my newly painted bathroom! In the pic the vanity cupboards look black because of a shadow but they are actually white now. Used to be cream and they just look so refreshed! I'm hoping to replace the ugly builder mirror with a couple pretty mirrors soon and when I do that I will post more bathroom pics.

Miss ya!
Love ya!